The best way to minimize damage from a hurricane is to be prepared before one strikes. To help you plan and remain safe at home during these potentially deadly storms, follow these safety tips.
During Hurricane Season:
· Plan evacuation routes and designate a contact person who family members know to call once the storm is over.
· Stock up on items such as bottled water, flashlights, battery-operated radio, nails, tarps and plywood.
When There’s A Hurricane Threat:
· Keep an up-to-date log of all of your possessions with photographs and videos, and review your home insurance policy.
· Place important, valuable papers such as your log of possessions and insurance policy in waterproof bags.
· Cover windows and doors and secure outdoor furniture.
· Refill your prescriptions, fill up your gas tank and withdraw a week’s worth of cash so you are prepared in the event of a power outage.
· Move your furniture and valuables to higher floors of your home.
· Gather emergency supplies and fill bathtubs with clean water.
· Move to higher ground away from rivers, streams, creeks and storm drains. If you are told to evacuate, do so immediately.
During a Hurricane:
• Listen to your battery-operated radio for instructions from the local authorities on evacuation and safety guidelines.
• Seek shelter in an interior room away from windows, such as a closet.
• If the electricity goes out, use a flashlight to see; do not use candles.
• If you hear the winds subside, do not assume that the storm is over. The calm may be the eye of the storm, and the worst part may still be coming.
After a hurricane is over, stay inside until you hear that an “all clear” notice has been issued. If you were told to evacuate, do not return home until you have been given permission by the authorities. Additionally, exercise extreme caution when inspecting your home for damage. Do not try to inspect damaged utilities and appliances; contact a professional to do so.
Please call Hays Companies Private Client Group with any questions or claims. You can contact us 24 hours a day at (612) 747-1095 or firstname.lastname@example.org.